DeWalt DCD790D2 20V Max XR
Cordless Drill Review
DeWalt is perhaps one of the most popular brands among power drills. The DCD790D2 20V brushless power drill is the latest in innovative technology. The DCD790D2 is lightweight and compact compared to other model drills and has an improved motor longevity over that of previous models. The model’s size and weight make it perfect for consumers looking to accomplish both household and professional projects. The engine’s longevity and efficiency also make it the ideal compact driver for those looking for a product that can be used on a daily basis.
The cordless power drill is an important investment and a central part of any do-it-yourself or contractor tool box. While many options for cordless drills exist, it behooves consumers to be confident that the model they are buying is the right one for their needs. With this DeWalt DCD790D2 cordless drill review, users will become well informed regarding the drill’s many features, benefits, and overall value for money.
- Brushless Drill Motor: The DCD790D2 uses an innovative motor technology which significantly increases power efficiency. Traditionally, motors would use brushed motors. These brushes are copper wires which rotate around and require constant contact to a rotor. This rotor transfers electricity through the wires and is in-turn polarized to magnets along the outer rim of the motor casing – causing the engine to spin.
These brushes can wear out over time due to constant contact, and eventually, the drill must be replaced. Additionally, the ongoing resistance of the brushes against the rotor decreases power and reduces battery life. The Brushless motor, however, requires no bristled contact and thus produces 57% more power and torque than the brushed motor. Battery life is also significantly increased as a result.
- More Powerful Battery: With a 20V lithium ion battery, the DCD790D2 is one of the most powerful products on the market. In combination with the brushless motor, the model’s battery increases operating time by more than 50% that of a standard battery. This lithium ion battery is also more compact with denser power cells. The battery’s slenderer profile helps to decrease the drill’s overall weight while not sacrificing the battery’s charge capacity.
The new 20V battery is also equipped with an aluminum heat sink visible from the bottom. This heat sink disperses heat that builds up in the battery during operations. It also helps keep the battery cool when working in hotter conditions. Overheating can cause the battery to lose its charge much more rapidly. The battery is also furnished with a 3-light LED indicator on the rear of the battery that shows how much battery life is left. Just press the indicator button for the indicator to light up.
- Improved Design: The DCD790D2 is considerably smaller and lighter than other drivers in its class. With a smaller battery and lower overall profile, the product weighs only 3.5 pounds. 1.5 lbs were less than other metal ratcheting models. This makes it the perfect product for carrying up a ladder or holding for prolonged periods of time on a tool belt. It’s smaller size also makes it ideal for operating in tighter spaces.
DeWalt has changed the location of the model’s on-board flashlight to the top of the battery housing. This will decrease shadowing caused by the user’s hand. Traditionally, the on-board flashlight would be located at the top just above the trigger. However, this caused an issue when the user’s index finger would block the light. Additionally, the angle of the light allows for more accurate coverage of the intended drilling point.
- Multiple Speed and Torque Settings: With two a speed transmission and 15 torque settings, this machine is strong and fast enough to product through any surface as well as tame enough for lower speed fastening applications. Contractors especially will benefit from this and be able to adjust the model to the precise speed and torque required for the job. Whether its fastening screws or drilling through hard concrete, the DCD790D2 is ready for the task at hand. Even household users will find these adjustments are easily made for every job in the home.
- Accessories: The DCD790D2 comes with everything you need to accomplish the job. Everything fits into a convenient tool bag which is perfect for the job site. The model comes with two batteries and a charging base. When one battery dies, replace it with the second and charge the dead one. This ensures little to no down time waiting for a battery to recharge. The drill is also fitted with a belt clip which makes it easier and safer to carry. Those looking to use the model for typical household fastening projects will not need to purchase any extra parts as the product comes with an interchangeable standard/Phillips head bit.
- Drill Type: Cordless
- No Load Speed: Two Speed System (0-600/0-2,000 RPM)
- Chuck Size: ½” Chuck
- Chuck Type: Metal Ratcheting
- Clutch Settings: 15 settings
- Power Source: 20V Lithium Ion Battery
- Maximum Power: 360 UWO (unit watts out)
- Battery Capacity: 2.0 Amp Hours
What Can You Use the Dewalt DCD790D2 20v Max XR For?
The DCD790D2 is one of the most versatile drills on the market, and at a competitive price, it is still affordable for those looking to use it only occasionally. DeWalt makes all of their models with professional and frequent use in mind. That being said, consumers looking for a personal household product are unlikely to find a task this model cannot perform. In addition to typical drilling and fastening capabilities, the DCD790D2 is perfect for mixing. Whether you need to mix paint, drywall mud, or concrete, the brushless motor provided the endurance for mixing usually only found in corded models.
So, Should You Buy It?
In conclusion, contractors will benefit the most from this model. With the higher battery capacity and more efficient brushless motor. The DCD790D2 was made for long term and daily use. Because the motor and other parts are so easy to clean, contractors will not need to worry about a complicated and cumbersome cleaning process for this product.
If you are looking for something else, feel free to check out this page for more.